1/28/12

Hitting the ground running

The first 12 days in Uganda have been a whirlwind of experiences and emotions. Already I have had the opportunity to preach at church (twice!) while going around town talking to people about God with the rest of my team during the week. There is definitely a huge difference in preaching the Gospel in Africa - the people here are way more receptive - but I'm just looking at this an opportunity to develop my confidence and grow in boldness.

One of my goals going into Africa was to let go of my self reliance and learn to put my trust completely in the Lord. That was put to the test two days ago when I was diagnosed with Malaria (I'm feeling much better now though, don't worry!). When you're lying in bed with a 103 degree fever and throwing up anything you put in your body, all thoughts of pride and self-sufficiency tend to automatically go out the window.

In a weird way, as miserable as being sick was, I'm glad it happened. I honestly believe that God was using the experience to break me down before building me back up into a man of stronger faith. In many ways, I am encouraged by Romans 8:28 - "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."

I'm missing home and everyone like crazy right now (I could use a 100 plus out here in the African heat) but I continue to remind myself that God has a purpose for me being here and that I have to do my best to stay receptive to His will for me.

Thank you guys for your continued support and prayers - It means the world to me and I will continue to keep all of you in the loop!

2 comments:

  1. Alex, that is really awesome that you are already preaching and sharing. We will pray for your effectiveness in this area! Also for your health for sure! Keep on following faithfully. Wish I could get you that 100 plus!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, thanks for the update and for your "God has a plan and is in control" attitude. I can't wait to hear what God shows you next in this awesome journey you are on.
    Brad

    ReplyDelete